Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The writers' strike

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the television writers strike has begun in earnest. What that means to you and me is, the fall season has just tanked. If you were waiting for a brand new show, you are out of luck. If the reruns are beginning to get boring, you had best run to the library.
I never fully realized just how much our lives revolve around the box these days. Given our access to other forms of entertainment, why do we stare passively at a glowing screen of characters that we cannot interact with? I know that I find some of the stories rather engrossing, and some of the characters do ring true, but those shows are getting fewer each season. The less said about most "reality" shows the better.
Unfortunately, that might be mostly what we will be seeing. On the other hand, now might be a good time for somebody to come up with a truly good reality series, something that might help people.
The strike has come at a very odd time though. Pretty soon, the networks will be trotting out their holiday fare. Many prime time shows would wind up being preempted anyway. Did the writers' guild consider that when it decided to walk out? They are very much in danger of the public not noticing for a good three months. Most shows have enough scripts to last them until about January. Put that together with Christmas specials and other live events, and maybe the networks can hold the strikers at bay for some time.
I think I might take the time away from prime time television to do something a little more interactive. Maybe Sandra and I could play some cards at the table. I might read a good book with music in the background, or even just enjoy some quiet.
Maybe the writers' strike will give us all a chance to blink away the afterglow from the television screen once in a while and notice each other.
Just not first thing in the morning please. I am truly ugly without my first cup of coffee.

No comments: