Monday, November 26, 2007

Dream big?

There's been some times that I wish life could be a little simpler.
I got to thinking about just how much I need, versus my old idea of a dream home. At one point, I got to realizing that if I had the kitchen I once dreamed about, I'd never be able to keep it clean. Cooking for two doesn't require a gourmet workspace. We don't have people over for meals that often, so is a huge dining room such an essential? Heck, we eat in front of the television every night.
People like to dream big. Maybe we should try dreaming sensible.
I think my dream now is just to own a place of our own, something that keeps us warm, has enough space for the things we need and love, and isn't impossible for us to live in.
Let's try saving the big dreams for the things that matter. Peace in the middle east and at home. An end to hunger and child poverty. Curing diseases that take lives far too early. Big dreams are all well and good, but let's have them for the things that really could make a difference and then act on them.
I think what I'm saying here is that sometimes I let things I've seen done go to my head and want to try to do the same. Maybe we haven't evolved that far from monkeys after all.
It's time to come up with goals and dreams that are about what I need to be happy, not what "society" says I should have to be successful. Why should I let someone else tell me what success is anyway?
I used to be quite happy working in a fast food kitchen. Maybe if I had stuck with it, I'd have realized the full extent of how happy that job could have made me. It may have been lowly on the social pecking order, but it was meaningful from where I sat.

3 comments:

Filis said...

Very true, Joe, but you have to have dreams..... even if you never attain them, it's fun to dream!

Steph said...

Dreams are fun to have, but sometimes you feel let down when you don't achieve them. I think I have relatively simple dreams, even if my thoughts have become a little more complicated.
I loved your ending paragraph about Societal expectations. I think our society today demands too much of us and that's its definition of that "perfect life" is a little more than a bit superficial. I want the basics, and I'll be happy with that. A family and a job I can find meaning in. Sometimes its the simplest of things that make us happy but we lose site of it because society says we are only truly happy with something else.

Joe Ganci said...

The truth is that without dreams, we can't achieve. Achievements start with dreams. It's just as true that if the dreams are unachievable we should switch dreams so as to not waste time on a goal that is unreachable. As someone told me recently, I can consider something done too when I decided to stop doing it.