Thursday, November 8, 2007

Good neighbour policy

I told you once that I would write a bit about the way I walk around the building each night. It is all part of my "Good Neighbour" policy, regardless of where I might be living. My idea is that, if my home involves others, as an apartment building implies, I have certain responsibilities as a proper neighbour.
Each night, when I take out the garbage, I take a short stroll about the building. I look at the cars in the lot, to see if there has been any attempt at vandalism. While I don't actually look into the apartments, of course, I do look at the windows, to see if there is damage or if someone has attempted a break-in. Particularly on the first floor.
I also make a habit of noting who comes in and who goes out, with particular attention to strangers. The building I live in has had problems in the past with drug dealers. While the new landlords have taken steps to remove the pushers, it pays to keep a close eye on things.
I am in a very good position to watch over at least the one half of the building. With a window right near the front entrance, I can see the comings and goings, and have made it possible for the superintendent to have a picture of what is happening when he can't be here himself. Some might call it being nosy. I call it looking out for the young families that live in the building with me.
I would hope that my neighbours would share in this policy.

No comments: