Friday, November 2, 2007

My mechanics

Yesterday, I wrote about listening to my wife (eventually) when she said there was a problem with the car. Today, I'd like to tell you a little bit about the mechanics that save my bacon on a regular basis.
Jim and Dave McEwen (I wish I had a picture available) are probably the best mechanics I have ever met. They care very much about their clients. They will not let me drive anything that they deem to be unsafe, even if the law doesn't require something. The twins have been known to go out of their way to steer people clear of what would turn out to be a lemon.
What makes this odd is that they are also in the business of selling used vehicles. If the old stereotypes held, they would be the shiftiest characters in the world. If Jim and Dave give you a quote, they stand by it.
In the case of the latest problem with the car, I literally showed up on their doorstep with no notice. They had their third hand drive me home, so that I wouldn't have to walk, and put it up on a hoist the instant it was available. When they called me, they gave me an honest assessment for the problem and what it would cost to repair. All three of them went to work on it, and then returned the car to me, again so that I would not have to walk across town.
Jim and Dave do not advertise in the papers. They don't have the budget for radio or television. They rely on word of mouth. Well, I have a big mouth, and I am not afraid to use it on their behalf.
Where else am I going to find mechanics that will fit me in at the last minute, do quality work, and then let me pay in installments?

No comments: