Friday, November 9, 2007

Electric vehicles

I have just been watching a series on the Outdoor Life Network. A guy went from New York City to Washington D.C. on electric bikes powered with electricity produced from garbage. It wasn't the easiest of trips to make, between cold temperatures and a busted throttle cable, but he did it.
On a stop in Amish county, he learned that the Amish are not totally opposed to technology. They are just very conservative about how they use it. By way of example, an Amish man pointed out that they use solar panels to charge the batteries for the signal lamps that the law requires on their buggies. You might consider the Amish the uber energy conservationists.
On the trip, the host of the show also saw some other electric cars, powered from garbage produced electricity. One was a kit, put together by a teacher. It was a small, three wheeled car. Unfortunately, it was a convertible, and therefore pretty cold. Another was a Pontiac Feiaro (however that is spelled) that had been converted to an electric car.
Given the opportunity, I think I might like to have a small electric car of my own. I would have to be able to produce my own electricity though. I wouldn't want to have to charge a car off of the grid. It would just cost too much for my liking. The environmentally responsible vehicle would be a lot of fun to have. I only drive short distances, so it would be practical for me.
Maybe if the manufacturers produced something affordable and usable, maybe they would be in higher demand. Battery technology has come a long way. So has the production of clean energy. It could be time for the green car.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I love reading your blogs Uncle Joe. I don't know why, but it's something I like to keep up on, even if I only check it about once a week.
Those cars would be nice to have, but like you said, they're not really all too affordable. Maybe as they get to explore all of the ways they can power the car the price will go down? Who know? With the way technology keeps moving forward you never know what's going to happen next.