Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day

I just want to take a moment to thank all of the veterans of Canada; past, present and future, for the sacrifices they have made. The freedoms I enjoy today have come at a high price. The fight I wage today, I do in the memory of the fallen. The life I live today, I live because of them. I will honour those souls to the best of my ability.
War is a last resort, to defend the ideal of the common good. I respect those who are willing to pay the ultimate price for what we believe in. Even when the belief isn't commonly held, it can be worth dying for.
Note, I said dying, not killing. To me, killing is reserved for defence of the self and the innocent. In the event of war, you can put a weapon in my hand. You can even make me use it. You just can't make me use it against the helpless or the innocent. I'd rather have an injured prisoner to reason with than a dead person on my conscience.
That last paragraph will likely get me in trouble with many. It is a tough ideal to defend, but it is one that I will take to my death. Life is precious and cannot be restored. I have to be careful with it.
I take this day to remember all who fought for my freedom in the wars of the past. I take this day to mourn the dead, on both sides of those conflicts. I take this day to pray for the safety of those who go into battle today, protecting the innocent. I take this day to hope that, in the future, there will be fewer dead to mourn, and far less need to fight to protect others.
Remember the departed. Remember who they were out of the uniform they died in. If you see a veteran today, give thanks in your heart for what they endured for your sake.

No comments: