Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Where does the time go?

My oldest niece graduated from high school last night. Sandra and I went to the commencement ceremony.

All of a sudden, I felt... old. Where did the time go? It seems like just a few weeks ago I was in my first year at University, and I got word that Steph was born. Now, here she is getting set to start off in the same path. Somehow, you just lose sight of the fact that the kids you used to give horsey rides grow up.

It was a pretty good ceremony, as these things go. Being a Catholic school, there was a short liturgy before the program began. There were certainly enough awards and bursaries handed out. The one kid isn't going to have to pay for his first year of post secondary education, by the looks of things. In a class of 120, there were almost thirty awards.

My next oldest niece is hot on the heels of her sister. She has made great strides from a child who had a learning disability. Mellissa has actually chosen a career path, and knows what she needs to do to get there.

I remember when their biggest decision was what flavour of freezy they wanted to have in the summer. Now they are deciding what to do with the rest of their lives.

Where does the time go?

1 comment:

Steph said...

You shouldn't feel old. It's only been 18 years since I was born. Feel old when I am in my 30s or 40s and have my own kids. Then I will allow you to feel old, cause then it means that I'm on my way there! Lol
Both James King's pretty much have their tuition paid for by now I think. The awards you get from the school are like $500 round abouts. James R. King (the drama one) has also received ones before that night. (one was for $500 I know for sure)
I might be growing up, but I sure as hell don't feel like I am. I feel like I'm five all over again -_-'