Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lost on-line

A few weeks back, I made a "friend" on-line. He was a fellow writer in the fan fiction site that I frequently live in. In the course of reviewing each other's work and general chatting in forums, I got to like him. He's an interesting guy, from what I can tell.

Not too long ago, his sister developed complications from a congenital illness. He was very afraid that he was going to lose her, and sent a mass e-mail out to say that he was suspending his writing activities until further notice. I wrote him a personal message, letting him know that I could understand that he had more important things to concentrate on.

Now he has decided to take down his account at fan fiction. I am not clear on the reason. It would seem that he felt that he was being disrespected by other members of the site, and that it just wasn't right for him anymore. This all happened in the course of a couple of hours last night. I never even got the chance to chat with him before he left to dismantle his account.

Maybe I'm a little over sensitive here, but I hate the thought of losing a friend without knowing what is going on. It isn't my place to tell him not to leave the site if he is not comfortable there, so my options are limited.

I did send him an e-mail letting him know that I didn't want to lose touch with him completely. He has my address, and can send me messages anytime that he wants. I hope he takes advantage of the offer. I so hate to lose people on-line.

1 comment:

Steph said...

On-line buddies are hard to keep in touch with. Or so I find. I've met a few people off of the fanfiction site we both so often frequent, but we've all lost touch. None of us were really all that close in age or in interests. So I think that's why.
What I do know about that site is a lot of people aren't too understanding about things. Don't get me wrong there are a fair few that are, but the majority of them are not I find. I think that's what's happening with your friend. I know of a girl on there whose grandfather died. She was very close to him and so she took it hard. Some of the people weren't all that understanding of the matter.
I know you've become good friends with him, and I think he values your friendship the same way. I think he just needs some time to think things through. He may not come back to FF.Net but I'm sure he will continue to email you.
XoX