Monday, June 30, 2008

Meet your heroes

Last night, I was going through a collection of e-mail that had been held up due to a system problem. One of them was an invitation by one of my favorite authors at www.fanfiction.net. He gave me his phone number, saying that he would like to discuss my writing and comments I had submitted about his. He also gave me the option of having him phone me, since he has a very good long distance plan.

No sooner did I finish typing an e-mail response than the phone rang. It was "Neb", as he is known to us in the fan fiction. He was calling me all the way from Texas, just to talk writing with me. This is a man who is widely admired in our little world of Kim Possible fandom, who has contact with a number or brilliant writers. What in the name of my great aunt Matilda's bicycle shorts was I going to discuss with him?

I am rather embarrassed to say that I made a fool of myself, going on at length about the current story line I am reading. He sucked me in with this one, and to be honest, I stand in awe of his writing abilities. I don't understand how any publisher could ever have rejected his work. He gave me a lot of insight into what I have just been reading.

If you ever have the chance, meet your heroes. Sometimes you just might learn that you have the potential to do what they do, if even on just a smaller scale. All I did was talk to 'Neb on the phone, but that was enough to have me willing to keep at this writing thing.

No comments: