Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fresh and in season

My wife and I went out to get a basket of fresh strawberries today. With the sudden rise of temperature this spring, and the recent rainfall, the crop came in early this year. We love to have the berries for dessert on warm summer evenings.

I love the idea of buying locally grown produce whenever possible. It is better for the environment and better for the economy of the area. Farmers markets are a great boon, with the best produce that can be had, at the best possible price, since it didn't have to be shipped. You always know that it is fresh, and hasn't been sitting in trucks and warehouses for the last six days.

Ottawa's Byward Market used to be one of my favorite places in the world. The smells, the colors and the sounds just screamed out to me each fall. I would think that most cities would set aside some space for a good farmers market.

When my parents came to visit with me once, we made a trip to the Byward Market, especially to get some fresh produce to make supper. Is there anything can beat a salad made with lettuce picked less than twenty-four hours previously? I think not.

So, go out and support your local farmers. Plan meals around whatever happens to be in season. Your local economy will thank you, the environment will thank you, and most importantly, you stomach will thank you.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Too true!
What is it that after taking a World Issues course I seem to find things like this pop up a lot more often??
You know, since you picked fresh berries, you might want your niece to come over and help you eat them up before they spoil ;)
Lol
XoX