Sunday, June 15, 2008

Family Update

Happy Father's Day, everyone. It has dawned nice and sunny, so let's get out there and take advantage of it shall we?

As some of you may know, I spent several days this last week visiting with my grandparents. They have both been experiencing medical issues, so my mother wants to go up to see them as often as she can. She needed someone to drive her, with her back not being so good, so I went up and had a look for myself.

Grandma is much better. She is up and about, and very much her usual self. She doesn't seem to have had any lasting side effects from her heart attack. The doctors have told her to watch her diet, and try to keep stress to a minimum. My aunts are being wonderful about going out to the house to help her with every little thing that they might need.

Uncle Bill (as we call my grandfather) is definitely not well. Still, he isn't quite as bad off as I had believed. While he requires constant oxygen and naps a lot more than he is awake, when he is up, he is as feisty as ever, and ready to cause trouble. They say that you can't keep a good man down. In my experience, the same goes for a naughty little old man. He can even get out on his electric scooter and go for rides.

My mother's Aunt Vi passed away about a week before we went up to visit. The internment was held at the cemetery on the Wednesday. I went with my mother to represent my grandmother, who wasn't up to a trip of that length. A fair number of the family made it, considering the plot is way out back of beyond in a sleepy little hamlet called Arden.

I never really knew that side very well. All I can really say for sure is that they have certain quirks, like all of us do.

At any rate, the family is doing as well as can possibly be expected.

Use the day to spend time with your families. We only get to borrow them for a short time.

No comments: