Friday, June 20, 2008

Dinner last night

Supper went quite well last night actually. For the most part, people just stuck to the tables they had chosen to sit at. Nobody decided to air grievances.

My mother-in-law actually managed to put away a full order of lasagna! You have to understand, Mary weighs all of 98 lbs, and usually eats like a bird. These portions were huge, to the point of ridiculous. I don't know where my wife and I put our suppers, so it's a real mystery in my mother-in-law's case.

Conveniently, we had the photos we took of the Bluenose with us, and they made the rounds of the tables. A lot of the people who were there plan to go to either Prescott or Cornwall when she makes port again next week. It's always nice to take something to add to conversation.

Mary also won a little door prize. One person at each table got to take home the candle that the pastor had put on the tables. She also got one of the extras. There were more people originally signed up, but could not attend because grand children were graduating.

When it was time to pay the cheques, the cash register was up three or four steps. Given how much trouble I had with them, I knew that some of the older ladies would be in a similar position. Having been brought up correctly, I assisted them up and down. One; who had sat at the table with Sandra, Mary and I, commented to my wife about what a gentleman her husband was.

All things considered, it was a pleasant evening. Well worth the look of contempt the cats gave us when we got home.

No comments: