Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

I'm going to visit my grandparents next week. They live some distance from here, so I don't get up to see them very often. I was writing fairly regularly at one point, but haven't for a while.

My grandfather is very ill at the present. His lungs have just about quit on him, the result of many years of smoking. The hospital released him when it became clear that there was nothing they could do for him. He is pretty much prepared of that.

What we weren't really prepared for was my grandmother having a heart attack. She tried to get up from bed one morning and just fell over. Fortunately, she has family that comes in on a regular basis. Her step daughter found her and got her to the hospital.

She's made a full recovery now, and is in pretty good shape for a woman of her age.

It just reminds me that we often take our family for granted. I wish I had a nickle for ever time I have heard somebody say, "I wish I had gotten to know him/her better." Why do we wait until loss to realize somebody's importance to us? Sudden loss is the worst kind, but even a lingering death sometimes seems to catch us off guard.

With Father's Day coming up, maybe now would be a good time to think about those family members you haven't spoken to in a while.

No comments: