Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sleep or the lack thereof

I don't know what is wrong with me these days. If I'm not sleeping in late, I'm getting up two hours before my alarm is set to go off. There just doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Granted, I can function well enough on six hours of sleep, since my day doesn't involve any heavy physical labour.

Some research says that the human body should dictate how much sleep we should get, that we will wake up when there has been enough rest for our systems to recuperate from the previous day. Other studies suggest that we should regiment our sleep patterns, rising and going to bed at the same time each and every day. It all depends on who is doing the study and who is funding them.

When I was diagnosed as having muscular dystrophy, my doctor advised me that I should just sleep whenever I feel the need, and not force it when I don't. She said that my body would tell me when it needed to recover from stress and activity. There are going to be times, I was told, when I will have a "tired spell", and that I would learn to live around them.

Honestly though, I would love to be able to live according to some schedule. Ever since I had to resign from my last position for medical reasons, I've felt kind of in limbo. My mother says that is a result of always having had some place that I really needed to be. It would be nice to have a job that I could physically handle, but would regulate just how much I am sleeping, and when.

Besides which, a job outside of the home would get me out of my wife's hair once in a while. One of these days, she's going to get sick of me.

But that is a whole other post.

No comments: