Saturday, January 19, 2008

Our Taffy, an update from the vet and from home

Nothing terribly profound to talk about today.
The other week, Sandra and I took the oldest of our cats to the vet for a check up. The doctor said that she is as healthy as can be. She has lost a lot of the pudge that she used to have. The only place he noted could use a little improvement was her teeth. There is a bit of tartar at the back.
While she has gotten a little more sleek, Taffy has somehow managed to gain half a pound! Go figure. The only thing that we and the vet could think of is that she has replaced body fat with still more muscle. After all, in this apartment, she and her sister can chase each other to their hearts content.
That's all we need, Taffy with more muscle! Her tail is already a lethal weapon. She is a very strong cat. Given a dog twice her size, I'd put my money down on Taffy in a scrap.
We are very proud of our little girl. Normally she would hiss and bite at the vet the whole time during an examination. She didn't even think of trying to bit the doctor. Sure, she meowed her displeasure, but she was very good during the whole visit. The vet said that she seems to be mellowing with age. Maybe, but I'd still leave the original picture on her chart, the one with her in the back of her carrier, snarling at the camera! Forewarned is forearmed!
On the other hand, these days she comes to me every morning, wanting to be brushed. It used to be I couldn't get anywhere near her with a brush. Now I pull out huge wads of dead, grey fur. Taffy lies at my feet, while I am on the throne, and purrs like a small outboard motor while I run an old hair brush over her coat. She positively shines nowadays.
I've really run on here about Taffy. Don't get the impression that we don't love our Isabelle just as much. I'm just very much amazed by the changes in Taffy since we moved into the new apartment.

2 comments:

Steph said...

They day you two don't love Isabelle and Taffy equally is the day the devil is reinstated as an angel in heaven.
Sorry for the bad comparison. But I needed something drastic to get my point across. Lol

Anonymous said...

Taffy runs to her own rules. I have alway said she is the reincarnation of my dad ( another story and not a good one ). She has definate mood swings on the turn of a dime. I got Taffy when she was between 6 and 8 weeks old and i admit she is spoiled and it was only her and I for the longest time. Then this man can into my life and she did not like it at all. Boy did the jealousy appear from Taffy and Joe had to take his time with her and when she had had enough of him he knew it lol. She is declawed but has a good set of teeth which she used to her advantage. She is mellowing with age i guess--- sometimes. But she still loves her cuddle time with me and gets under the covers when i am in bed-- and what does she do --- with her paws she boots Joe out of bed lol . But we love her to death and always take her to the vet and do the monthly flea and tick thing with her and her sister. I love both my girls and would not have it any other way.