Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The fashion don't that I am

It was a nice day today. Sandra and I decided to go for a bit of a drive, since we had to go out for some spaghetti sauce anyway. I figured I'd go into Wal-Mart and get a new dress shirt. Somehow, I lost my favourite shirt just after we moved.
I don't know what it is, but I am partial to short sleeves. It might have something to do with all of the time that I have spent in kitchens. Let's face it, long, white sleeves and marinara sauce just don't mix. On the other hand, any food item that can spill, white shirts and myself do not go together. Sandra, the poor dear, is ready to ban me from owning anything white. She always says that she can dress me up, but she can't take me anywhere.
I still think the nicest shirts I've ever owned have been the over sized dress shirts (with short sleeves) and the golf shirt that I once got at the thrift store. It was so large, it almost came down to my knees. I like the freedom to move in my clothing. The biggest problem I've found is getting shirts that fit me across the shoulders without being the length of night shirts. Not that I mind length, to be honest.
This may be one of the strangest posts I've ever written.
I think the main point here (does there really have to be one?) is that I dress very much for comfort. Fashions come and go, but the ability to sit without scratching at your collar is forever. I've never been one to keep up with the fad of the day. In high school, I once spent a year dressing in old security guard shirts. A neighbour got rid of them by letting me take them. I wore the things out.
The only thing I have against the way I look in my dress shirts and ties is that I look very much like Drew Carey!

No comments: