Friday, January 11, 2008

More on the house of dreams

I think I need to clarify a little what I meant in my last post. Specifically what I meant about the difference between a "dream house" and a "house of dreams". I got to thinking about it, and maybe that wasn't put too well yesterday.
A dream house is very much a thing of reality. A lot of building companies design these things, in the hopes that some of the qualities will catch on and be added to conventional houses. A dream house is all about the amenities. Whirlpool baths, expensive tiles, those are the trappings of a dream house.
The house of dreams is something altogether different. They don't usually exist in reality. There is no address for such a thing, though you can make up fanciful names for them. A house of dreams is all about a sense, a feeling. It is the rooms that you see yourself in when you have your happiest of dreams. In such a house, the rooms don't need to have a sensible layout, never mind all of the up to date appliances.
There is a middle ground of course. I like to draft up floor plans and elevations. To do a proper job of it, you have to take into account the lifestyle of the prospective occupants. That includes the feeling that they want. I like to live with someone in my imagination before I ever put a pencil to paper. (You have to admit, you can't actually live with someone for the length of time it would take to know their dreams.)
A lot of architects these days design around one aspect of peoples' lives. Kitchens seem to be the big thing these days. That and entertainment centres. A couple of decades ago, it was all about the car. Houses were garages with boxes attached to them. None of it had to do with the feeling that people wanted to let their HOME give off. Curb appeal meant nothing. It is no small relief to me to see the revival of the front porch.
Anyway, I hope that clarifies the whole idea of a house of dreams for you.

No comments: