Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The measure of a man

Okay, you have two minutes to get the obvious joke out of the way. (Hums "Naked Mole Rap" to self while waiting.)
It seems that we spend an awful lot of time debating the image of womanhood that is put up to young girls these days. Society demands they be pretty, extremely thin and still willing to be at the beck and call of men. I don't say that we should not be talking about and changing these attitudes. All I'm saying is that we haven't done enough talking about what is expected of the other half of the population.
From where I sit, it seems that society is demanding that men be even more rugged and muscular than ever before. The ideal man may have lost the cigarette and the can of beer, but he is still required to have just the right amount of hair, be no less than five foot seven and able to lift a Volkswagen.
Men are still supposed to avoid crying in public, especially in front of other men. We are supposed to hold all of our emotions, while at the same time show that we are sensitive. Did I miss something here? Aren't those two things diametrically opposite?
When asked, women often say that they are looking for personality and a sense of humour in a man. Right! Only if it comes in just the right package. They will often overlook what is obviously a lack of social skills, like being able to string more than three words together, for rock hard abs.
If all of this sounds a little bitter, I'll be truthful (One of the REAL measures of masculinity.) and admit that I am. I heard all of the old cliches when I was younger. "You're a nice guy, but... Can't we just be friends... I'm not looking for a relationship right (stares at "hot guy" going down hall) now." You get the picture.
To me, the man I always wanted to be was handsome, yes, but much more.
I think a true man is one who is honest to the people around him, but honest to himself too. He doesn't delude himself into thinking he knows everything. If a MAN gives his word, he keeps it, or demands the consequences. Real men are concerned with the reputation that goes with his name, and the name of his family. That is one of the old standards that I will stick by.
A real man is not afraid to tell you when he is sad, scared or worried. He won't burden you with his problems, but when the time is right, he will cry honest tears. He will call for help when he is in over his head. There is nothing wrong with showing your feelings, and so much trouble to be had when they are bottled in. For one thing, that is not being honest with the people around you.
I said that a real man will call for help when he gets in over his head. That said, I think a proper man does his best to stay out of that situation. He thinks before letting his temper or his pride get the better or him. Trying to jump your bike over a ditch on a dare is not bravery, boys, it's stupidity. Learn the difference!
There is a lot to be said for a guy who can stand out on his own for what he knows to be right, even when the people around him cannot. That independence is what separates us from herd animals.
There is the true measure of a man. It's the things that can't be seen or put into numbers. What does a man stand for? As the song goes, "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything./You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string." When my time on this world is over, I want to have stood for something, an idea that is far bigger than me. Before I am scattered to the winds and waves, I want people to remember me as being "a husband, a son, a brother, a neighbour and a good man."
I haven't always lived up to my best ideals, but I am trying.

No comments: