Thursday, January 10, 2008

Homes, not houses

I got to do a little dreaming again before going to sleep last night. Every now and then, I like to take what I've been reading, or talked about during the day, and throw it into a small daydream, and just see where it goes.
Last night, I thought about my "house of dreams", not to be confused with a "dream house". A dream house is one of those places that are massive, with just every little convenience and thing you could want. My house of dreams though, isn't quite the same. A house of dreams is a place that is a home first, and the structure isn't exactly important.
First of all, I cannot have my "house of dreams" without my wife in it. It just wouldn't be my house. She is as much a part of me as my left arm (being a southpaw) and I couldn't imagine it otherwise. That is the first and most vital component.
The next thing about my house of dreams is the feeling. As soon as one crosses the threshold, the outside world should fail to exist for them. Their problems wait outside in the cold and dark, while all of their best dreams and hopes come in to be shared. There is no lock on that door. No one would dream of entering in a spirit of malice. It is home to everyone, even if just for a short time. When you have once come through, you are family.
My parents home was very much like that. We kids could bring just any Johnny or Jane home and they would instantly just be one of the family. My best friend says that he came to visit, and wound up being adopted. We are the black hole of families, once you get inside our sphere, it takes a huge amount of effort to get out.
The only "thing" that I put into my dream house is a comfortable room with a fireplace and shelves of books. There are rocking chairs, an easy chair and a couple of window seats in that room. There are spaces to curl up and read, write and dream. Around that fireplace, intimate secrets can be safely told and funny stories related for the enjoyment of all.
This might strike most of you as incredibly fanciful. It is a great fantasy though, built on the foundation of the feeling that I used to have at my parents' house. It is no longer "mine" of course, but when things are right, that is where our own "house of dreams" usually starts.

1 comment:

Steph said...

That feeling does come from Mama and Papa's house. They even have a fire - though we can't exactly keep the doors of the wood stove open and there are no shelves upon shelve of books. But anyone that enters that house is given a sense of comfort, that sense of being in an environment that you can go when you need to let things go. I get that feeling whenever I am with you and Aunt "Taffy" as she is called on here when she comments on your blogs. It's a place where I can go when things become too much. the atmosphere around your house is different from the chaotic one Mum's house sometimes adopts (and keeps for a long while). It's true that once you enter this family it takes a lot to get out of it once we've taken you in. I've lost a few people, but then they also lost my trust at the same time. When it comes to my trust, unfortunately, once you have it and lose it I quite often don't give you another chance to regain it. But look at Bekka, I have known her for as long as I have known her sister, and I believe that she will stay a family friend no matter where either of us go in life. The same with StephV. They both have personalities that just "fit" with our little oddball family...Okay, so our family isn't little by any means (unless you're counting height) but you catch my meaning.