Friday, December 14, 2007

Things, or symbols?

Well, the Christmas shopping is done. The tree is lit, the stockings are hung.
There has been a cost. I've lost my wedding ring somewhere along the line yesterday. I finished with the dishes last night, and realized it wasn't on my finger. We searched high and low. No sign of it.
It's amazing how much difference a simple band of 1o karat gold makes. When I realized it was gone, I went into a panic. That ring represents so much! My wife put that on my hand two years ago, as a sign of how much she loves me, and now it's missing.
Some people take the little symbols of our lives for granted. You lose a ring, big deal. A gift from a special friend gets broken? It's replaceable. Call me weird, but I tend to find sentiment in even some of the smallest things. I still have a teddy bear that I won at a fair that I went to with an old friend years ago. I don't have the heart to get rid of it.
One man's clutter is another man's memory.

2 comments:

Joe Ganci said...

Real sorry to hear that, Joe. Did you check down the drain? Maybe in the garbage disposal?

In the end, remember it's far far far better to lose the ring and keep the wife than the other way around. :-)

Joe said...

Thanks, Joe. It definately didn't go down the drain, there is a guard to catch anything like that. We don't have a disposal, thank goodness, or any number of things could have gone down something like that.