Thursday, December 13, 2007

Creative ownership

As many of you who read my blog know, I am a great fan of the comic strip "For Better or For Worse", written by Lynn Johnston. I have been following the various story lines for years. You can read it yourself at http://www.fborfw.com/.
Unlike most comic strips, Lynn's takes place mostly in real time. Characters age, pets die sometimes, and normal life happens. More than one person has commented on how Lynn must be peeking into their windows and recording their lives. The chat section (which can be found under fun stuff) is full of that sort of thing.
Lately, people have taken to criticizing the various characters behaviour, the way Lynn is telling HER story, and anything else they can think of. I find some of the letters she has chosen to publish not only rude, but downright selfish.
This is a world of Lynn Johnston's creation. We, as readers have the right to enter it, but we should not presume that we should tell her how it is to be run. I have to think that all of the time that Lynn has devoted to the development of the characters gives her the right to decide their fates. Sure, as with any story teller, she must remain somewhat within the realm of believability, but she has the right to take the characters where she wants.
Sometimes a writer creates characters who take over the direction a story goes. In many cases, I think Lynn has fallen into this trap. The only way out is to let the characters do what they will, and guide them slowly back where she wants them to go.
My point, however, is that to criticize the story writing because we don't like a character or his behaviour within the story is wrong. We opted to enter that world, we should simply leave it in the hands of its' creator. Input is one thing. Telling Lynn that she is wrong is another. I would not dream of telling somebody who can create a world how it should work.
Lynn Johnston is now working toward a semi-retirement. Circumstances in her life have altered plans that she had made. This has begun to show in her writing. Just like her characters, I think she is a little unsure of where she is going now. In my humble opinion, that makes her work all the more "real" to me. Leave the lives of the fictional world in the hands that made them. They are hers, we just borrow them for a few minutes each day.

2 comments:

Steph said...

hm, interesting blog. I know what it's like to have someone tell you something is wrong and that you should be writing this way instead of that. Personally, when I find something I don't like I do comment on it, but I tell them that their take is interesting and definitely not the way I would have gone. That's not telling them that their idea was wrong, and it's not saying that I could have done better either - which in all honesty I can't really say I could. It simply says exactly what you're thinking, in perhaps a sugar coated way. Maybe not the best review for someone to get to help improve themselves, but where I am working at right now it serves its purpose. When writing to someone like Lynn Johnston however, I don't see where they get off telling someone like her off like that. It's just floors me. I don't know. Some people just...I question what they must really be like when I read stuff like that. *shakes head*

p.s. I can't wait for Saturday!! <3

Joe Ganci said...

This is a common reaction from fans, I'm afraid. It is as true of characters in books, movies, TV shows, comic books, comic strips, theatrical plays and wherever else you can find a fictional character. People become very invested in fictional characters and sometimes start to feel of them as if they were family. This is especially true of an on-going series like a comic strip or a long-running TV show. When the writers take the characters in a different direction, fans can sometimes feel betrayed and take umbrage with the changes. It isn't their right to complain about it, but it is a natural reaction.