Saturday, December 8, 2007

Nostalgia and impressions

For the first time, Sandra and I have composed a Christmas letter, to go out in each of the cards we are mailing this year. It' s basically just a way for us to let everyone catch up with what we have been doing lately.
At one time, a lot of people used to send out letters like this. Now, it's a rare family that sends out actual Christmas cards. E-cards have taken the place of the paper variety. It's hard to remember the last time that I got an actual letter in the mail. I think my grandmother sent one about eight months ago.
Technology has made communication a lot easier, but I don't think it has made it any better. Text messaging is a perfect example. It is a quick and relatively inexpensive way to get your message out there. A lt gts lst in the trnsltion tho. Is it any wonder kids are having trouble learning how to spell?
There are some things that pen and paper have going for them. All are purely psychological. For one thing, there is an immediacy to a letter that you are holding. The physical presence kind of makes you feel like the writer is with you. The other thing is the intimacy of the hand written letter. Somebody took the time to hold the pen and thought of you as they were writing. Sometimes, you can feel that in the letter.
Let's admit it, I am a romantic at heart. I like some of the old values that society has let slide. I still want to open a door for a lady, or help her on with her coat. I feel like a slob if I wear a t-shirt and track pants if I'm going to town. I think that tattoos and piercing should be private, in places that can be hidden when you go someplace formal.
That is another thing our society has lost. We might be able to get dressed up, but where are we going to go? I might use my suit once every year. Going out for a meal is done in denim jeans and a clean shirt. What ever happened to impressing your date's parents when you picked her up for dinner and a movie?
My oldest niece tells me that I sound like an old man when I write things like this. That's the problem. I sound like and OLD man, not a gentleman. My greatest goal in life is to have people remember me as a gentleman when I leave the room for the last time. It's the image I would hope to project when I meet somebody for the first time.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Well you do! There's still the odd gentleman out there, but as to how he is a gentleman has changed. I think another thing that has changed is women. Lets face it, what we can and cannot do has changed a lot, and so has our ideals. We don't like to be treated like that all the time. It makes us feel fragile. And if anything, we are not fragile. We can open a door on our own, we can put our coats on by ourselves. We've been doing so for a while. Every once and a while it's nice to be treated that way, but not all the time. In all honesty, I think that's why my ex and I didn't work out. He never wanted to just hang out like we were friends instead of out on a date as boyfriend and girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

No you don't! Now from your wifes perspective i love the romantic. Sure woman lib is great but I like the romance. Getting the door opened for me, putting my coat on , paying for the meal ( i just love that sort of stuff) It could be thou because i did not see it at home. My dad never did those things so i love to see a man do them. I nice supper, a bottle of wine a nice message. Theres nothing like it. :)