Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Accessiblity issues

I was going to write about something else today, but it came off as whining, and I promised that this blog was not going to be a forum for my personal problems. Besides, it was getting too hard to write about what I was thinking without getting into the personal lives of others. That is a major blogging no-no.
Instead, I think I want to address the issue of accessibility.
Yesterday, my wife and I went out to do a little shopping. I have a disability that makes it necessary for me to use the scooters that the store provides. That the larger stores even have them is a good thing, and shows that they are thinking. The problem lies in the way people think when they see a person in one of them.
One of the biggest obstacles to getting around in a large store is the other customers. If you are in a wheelchair or scooter, it's like they don't even see you. People will walk directly into the path of a person in a chair, even just to stop and look at items they don't intend to purchase. Or they will stand there, chatting forever, even after you have politely asked them if you can get by.
Are disabled persons invisible when they get below eye level? The average shopper can spot a quarter on the floor, but not a person?
The other problem yesterday is that not every part of the store was accessible to the scooter. The restaurant had rather tight quarters, and trying to stay out of the way put me in a position that made getting out again very difficult. It didn't help that there were no less than four persons with disabilities in there at the time. It created quite a commotion, let me tell you.
I think from now on, I'll skip the scooter. If I can't take my walker, I'll use a smaller chair and just let my wife push a cart. At some point in the future, that won't be an option, but I'll put up with being overlooked if it avoids the embarrassment that I had yesterday.

3 comments:

Joe Ganci said...

Joe, that's a real shame - people can be so inconsiderate. It's not all that different from how drivers ignore bicyclists while they're chomping on a Big Mac, changing the radio station, and texting their friends.

I find it so odd that people can be so self-centered that they don't see what's going on around them. I tend to always be aware of my surroundings. Maybe I would accomplish more if I directed myself inward more often, but I like myself the way I am.

Anonymous said...

What were u going to write about hun? I do agree to some point about the scooter but our local Walmart is now a superstore and alot bigger than a year ago. It now has a huge grocery store. The problem you encountered the other day was a little different because there were a total of 5 people in wheelchairs and scooters in that restaurant. Any way you looked at it you would have had trouble getting by them since those ppl were farther along with their disability and it was harder for them to move out of the way-- but you managed and did a good job.

Steph said...

I wish people were more considerate. It goes hand in hand with my theory of people generally only looking out for "number one". Reading this makes me ask myself if I am the same way. I really hope I'm not, but I must admit, I can be rather oblivious to things around me. Though I suppose since I'm closer to the ground myself, while you are sitting in the cart you are still eye level with me. Or at least pretty close to it. So I see a little more then someone close to 6' would. You're right when you say some people will see that quarter on the floor, but they'll miss those in wheelchairs and the like.
I wish things were easier, but some things can't be helped. All I can do is try and be more aware of what goes on around me.