Sunday, February 17, 2008

Say what?

I was just wondeing if maybe I'm a little more out of touch than I thought. You see, I was reading some stuff on a website the other day written by a guy who is eighteen. There was a lot of stuff there that I never would have dreamed of, never mind put into print in a public forum. Is it me, or are kids less concerned about quality and more about sheer volume?
My niece has pointed out a tendancy on my part towards "foggeyism". I do talk a lot about the way things were when I was in high school. I guess Jeff Foxworthy was right. You know you've reached adulthood when you're standing on a balcony during spring break in your boxers, shouting, "Keep it down, some of us have to get some sleep!"
Which implies by this time that I am old.
Today's kids generally don't seem to be able to speak without cursing every other word. The letter F gets a lot of air time these days. It used to just be few of the boys were like that. Now you just have to go through a mall, and it's coming out of the mouth of what would otherwise be a sweet young lady.
Speaking of which, nothing is a bigger turn off, girls, than a pretty young woman who ruins the effect by shoving a cigarette into her mouth. That goes for guys too. You can be rugged and handsome, but if your breath could knock down a small building...
Okay, I admit it, I'm old.

2 comments:

Steph said...

But you know, what you commented on today was true. Guys, and girls, who might otherwise be attractive no longer are when I see them light up. I'm just not a fan of smoking. If my guy did it, you'd bet I'd give him hell til he either quite or left me Lol
I think I swear more than I should. But I don't think I "give the letter F" more airtime than it used to get Lol. Sure, I use it when I'm upset but I think that's normal...But maybe that's just me.
I really hope I don't swear that much anyway...

Joe Ganci said...

One really cool thing about getting older is that I care less now, sometimes not at all, about what other people think of my tastes in music, movies, or anything else. Last week I had a friend and her two kids, a young lady of 16 and a young man of 21, in my car. The mom and daughter were enjoying the music I was playing in my car, Green Day's "American Idiot", and the young man criticized the song as a bunch of whiners. I laughed! Who cares what other people think of the music I like? As my friend Doug, a true audiophile if I ever met one, told me once, "Music is a personal thing. Nobody can tell you not to like music you like."

I'm only 47 and peer pressure is no longer an issue. I guess when I'm 80, I'll be one of those cranky ones that tell everyone else what to do. When I turn 120, watch out, I'll be impossible to deal with!