Saturday, February 9, 2008

In time of need

A dear friend of mine is scared. Her father is dying and there is nothing really to be done about it. They have always been close. She sent an e-mail to a lot of us, letting us know what was going on.
The best I could do was offer my prayers, such as they are. I am not a deeply religious man, though I have been called spiritual. I wrote out Psalm 23, "The Lord is my Shepherd" for her, and let her know that she could talk to me when she is sad.
The odd thing is that I did all this for a young woman I met in an on-line chat room. She appealed to the big brother in me. I can't really be said to know her that well, just what she has shared with me in private chats by messenger. How is it that I get so involved in other people's lives without meaning to?
I've been adopting little sisters since I was in grade three. They come and go, but when they find themselves in trouble, they always know to come to my doorstep. I like to think that just being there is a comfort sometimes. It's what a big brother does. I might not hear from any of these people for years at a time, but when the need is there, so am I. It's not a bad way to live, to be truthful.
I think, if we all just gave a little bit more of ourselves, the world would be a much more comfortable place to live in. Once you are involved, there isn't time or room in your heart for hate, prejudice or fear of one another. Religions of all stripe have been trying for millenia to pound that into our heads. Is that the definition of spiritual as it has been applied to me?
All I know is, I mean to be here when I'm needed.

No comments: