Sunday, February 3, 2008

Happiness is not a destination

A fellow blogger was discussing happiness. He was at a point in his life where he wasn't sure if he was on the path that he really wanted to be on, or where he really wanted to be. Mostly, he was just a little disillusioned with the travelling he does.
Some of us spend our whole lives searching for what or who will make us happy. Truth be told, we spend so much time in the search, sometimes we forget that it might be right under our noses.
My friend's problem (I've adopted him as a friend, he just hasn't realized that yet.) is that he isn't sure if he would be happier settled in one place than being on the go, looking for that next path of adventure just over the horizon. At some point, all of us ask that question. Whether we are the "homebody" never going more than fifty miles from where we were born, or the world traveller, always looking to the next voyage before the final one.
Happiness can be found wherever we are. That is the only place it can be found. If you are looking for it, just think about where you are, what you are learning about yourself and the place you find yourself in. Many a man has gone nuts thinking that paradise is over the next sand dune. As I told my friend, happiness isn't a place on a map. It is our hopes, dreams and memories. We take it with us, just as a tortoise takes its shell.
Go out and enjoy where you are. Let what you have to do take you where you are needed. When you want to come home, we'll have the table set and a warm fire on the hearth. We all have the same home. Life is just the journey we make to do what needs to be done until we finally make it back full circle.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Thats the problem some of us have lost our home and don't know if we will ever have that comfy feeling of being home again. What constitutes a home? Not just 4 walls or even all your own objects in it. It is a certain feeling and sometimes i am being to think I will never feel at home again.

Steph said...

I can see where you are coming from with what you have said.
Personally, I'm not quite sure how I'll find happiness, or rather, what it is that will make me the happiest. But I will learn what that is as I go through life. Lets face it, I'm young. I still have plenty of time. Right here at this moment, I'm happy to just be able to have the opportunity to figure out what it is.
...Though I think I just totally went off topic with this comment...