Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mary's new home

I went and saw my mother-in-law's new place yesterday. Forgive me if I'm a little green with envy. It's a gorgeous apartment, with a lot of natural light and big, open spaces. It's large enough to move around in, without being too much for her to keep up.
I can so picture all of her favorite things in it. She can set herself up on the balcony on summer mornings, sipping her cup of coffee. She will enjoy the view and be comfortable. Evenings can be spent in comfort with a couple of friends and a pot of tea. She even has a spare room for when one of the ladies wants to stay over.
It will be so good to have her settled permanently. She deserves a happy home to come back to after a day of running errands with friends or for the church. It will be a nice place to visit her on Christmas Eve and other holidays. Conveniently, it lies halfway between Cathy' place in Cornwall and ours. She is in her favorite town, where she can get just about everything she needs within a ten minute walk.
If we could have afforded it, we would so have been in there. But then, the landlady is trying to keep it all senior citizens in there. There aren't enough places that older folks can afford these day, and you have to admit, seniors are a lot easier on the property. The apartment has all of the things that we wanted when we were looking, and has the advantage of being in my wife's home town.
Yes, I think my mother-in-law will be happy there for many, many years.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Yes I know mom will be happy there. Its just to get her moved in now. She will have a nice view of the river. And a nice big kitchen. Hopefully she will get to know the people in her building and get a couple new friends

Joe Ganci said...

Joe and Sandra, I'm glad for your mom (in-law). Your envy reminds me of all the times my wife and I would go to open houses for sale, homes that were much too expensive for us, or we would be invited to the houses of bosses that were much better off than we were. Invariably, I would find myself coveting the bigger, more beautiful houses. However, upon returning to my house, after just a few hours, the feeling would pass. After all, those other buildings were mere houses, but our house was our home.