Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mother-in-law update

My mother-in-law may have a new apartment. She and Sandra's sister went to see it yesterday. It's a beautiful two bedroom place in a security building geared toward seniors. It has a lot of natural light, and the landlord take care of the garbage and recycling, so she won't even have to deal with that.
She sounded very excited about it when she phoned here. She was actually thinking about where she would put things. That's a good sign. Every other time she's seen a place, she's hemmed and hawed about it, and then decided against it for one reason or another.
The big sticking point with her on this place was the stairs. She didn't want anyone to think that she took this place because she didn't want me to visit. (I have trouble with stairs, and avoid them when I can.) I assured her that I could manage a couple of flights once a week for the sake of visiting with her. It's silly of her to put so much thought into my ability to access an apartment. As long as she's okay with the steps, that's all that matters.
It will be nice to see her in a good, safe and clean apartment though. I hate the idea of her staying someplace she doesn't like because the housing authority can't get off their butts and get one of the apartments ready for her. Besides, the housing units aren't nearly as nice as this place. Sandra and I actually saw this one being built.
Mary will have a nice river view from her balcony doors. She'll be able to go to see her friends, and sometimes have one stay overnight, once she gets a spare bed that is.
I've got my fingers crossed. If she passes this one up, I may have to pinch her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pinching my mom , hummmmmmmmm lol. I hope she takes it too and tells housing(for which she was waiting for a seniors apartment in the local seniors building) to shove it. She will have to get a fridge and stove which is a shame. Her other apartments have had them so she got rid of the ones she had at home. My sister seems to be helping her out quite a bit so hopefully if she does move it will be uneventful.