Monday, February 11, 2008

Insurance leads to technology questions

Sandra and I have an insurance policy on the contents of our apartment. I'm sure this is not unusual, but it does bring me to a very interesting thought though. Unfortunately, to get there, I have to deviate a little. Bear with me a moment.
Sandra was discussing our policy with a friend, who advised her to look closely at the policy, to be sure that we had "replacement value" as opposed to "cash value" stipulated on it. Other friends had lost everything in a fire, and what the insurance company gave them was cash to buy furniture at a depreciated rate from what they had owned. So we checked our policy, and we are fortunate enough to be covered to the maximum value to replace our furniture and belongings with "an equal style, model and usefulness as was previously purchased without deduction for depreciation."
This led to wondering if we had enough coverage, and how to go about claiming if there were an accident. So, for the better part of three weeks, Sandra and I went room by room doing an inventory. It turns out we have a lot of stuff. So, Sandra's friend lent us her digital camera to take pictures of everything. We keep a disc, the insurance company gets one, and a third goes to her mother's place when she is settled in.
Which brings me to the real point of my story. The memory card in the camera.
When we had taken all of the pictures we felt we needed, we went and got the data on the card transferred onto a compact disc. This thing fit into that tiny fifth pocket in the side of my jeans. It's smaller than a potato chip, but it holds more information than the computers that sent men to the moon. I got to thinking about how fast the industry has really been moving, and to be honest, the implications are mind boggling.
Does anyone out there remember floppy discs? I mean the ones that actually were floppy, great big, thin things, with warning stickers about magnets and heat and stuff. I think I have just technologically dated myself. The computer equivilent of cutting down a tree and counting rings is counting the number of data storage devices you remember that are no longer being used. Which makes me a canidated for the new Microsoft Jurrasic Park.
I once said that the internet was a repository for just about all of human knowledge. All of that knowledge is now on so many kinds of storage, I don't think it will ever be totally lost. It will just be a question of our being able to read it. Laptops don't even have a built in disc drive anymore. It's a cd or memory stick now. Apple even has come up with a slim computer that doesn't even seem to have space for a memory stick.
How do they put a hard drive into the thing?
Okay, now I'm just making my head hurt.

No comments: