Saturday, September 15, 2007

My mother-in-law

It's my mother-in-law's birthday today. She won't mind if I tell you that she is turning seventy-five this year. That's because she neither looks nor acts that age. Or at least, what being that age used to mean.
Mom is a very active woman, which is why she has been able to live such a long life to begin with. She has many activities that keep her not only physically active, but mentally alert as well. You just can't put one over on Mary Salmon. With the exception of her letting me into the family!
Mary is a very kind, generous woman. If you are straight and honest with her, she will always be the best of friends you can have. When Sandra and I got married, she knew that we would have some rough times, but she has always been there to help us through. She gives a lot of time to her church and community as well.
I like to say that when I got married to Sandra, I was forced to throw out all of my favourite mother-in-law jokes. None of them apply.
The only signs of aging my mother-in-law has shown is a problem with her hearing and cataracts that the eye doctor is procrastinating over. She is quick enough to admit to both problems, but her hearing aid hurts, so she can't wear it all of the time. This can make conversation a little difficult.
So, happy birthday, Mom. I look forward to seeing you actually get old, but I doubt I'll live that long!

No comments: