Sunday, September 9, 2007

Danger to your pets

I just want to take a moment to remind all of you to be very cautious with your pets.
This morning, I was woken by a loud commotion outside of our apartment windows. One of the dogs upstairs had attempted to follow his mistress by jumping through the second floor window. He landed on his front legs, hurting them slightly. My wife, being a little quicker than I am, went out to see what was going on. She had me take out a blanket, thinking the animal was going into shock.
When I got there, the dog was doing okay. I don't think there was any permanent or severe damage. In fact, I was repeatedly licked in the eye as I tried to hold him still.
Please, make sure that your windows are secure if you live in an upper floor apartment. Just as you would with children, be careful how your pet sees an open window. Screens are only meant to keep insects out, they are not able to support any weight. If the windows must be open, make sure that your pet cannot access it. Preferably, only open the window as much as you need to let in fresh air, but not so much that the animal can get through.
I may have issues with larger dogs being kept in apartments, but I would never ask that one be injured to prove my point. As much as the noise of the young dogs upstairs has annoyed me, I was scared sick that he may have been severely hurt.
So there it is. If you must have pets in an apartment, make sure they are safe. Take them out on a leash. Make sure they understand the boundaries, and always watch them around the windows.

No comments: