Saturday, September 22, 2007

Confined pets, shameful owners

I am getting so sick of the dogs upstairs. They bang around as if they are trying to jump through the ceiling, and land on top of us down here.
It isn't the dogs' fault of course. After all, the one is just a puppy. Dogs need space, especially large breeds like the dogs upstairs. Once they grow older, they can live the quiet life. At this age, Labs, Huskies and Collies need to be able to run for a couple of hours each day.
No, the real problem is the owners. Maybe they don't have any real options about where to live, but that doesn't give them licence to let the dogs go nuts. They should take the dogs for regular exercise and tire them out a bit. All we have ever seen them do is take the dogs across the street so that they can "do their duty", and then take them right back upstairs.
We have complained to the superintendent of the building, of course. Since we haven't even been here a month though, I don't know how much weight our complaint carries.
Besides that, there is a limit to how much can actually be done by the landlord of any building. The tenant of an apartment has a lot of rights under the law, and doing anything about complaints is a lengthy process. The law says that you are permitted pets, to a limit of two dogs in an apartment. That law does not specify about breed.
I think the biggest losers in the whole deal is the dogs. They are cooped up in a place that doesn't allow them to exercise. When the owners are out, they are bored to tears, if dogs could cry. Is it any wonder that the poor animals go nuts when their mistress is home and awake? It just isn't fair to keep large dogs in an apartment building.
I've always dreamed of some land out in the countryside where I could have a dog. My dream home is a horse ranch where underprivileged kids can go to have some fun and experience a little peace. My wife wants a log house, and that fits in well with my dream. I picture a winter evening spent in front of the fireplace, with the dog, suitably exercised and content, lying by the hearth and a cat on my lap while I read.
Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big!
I love animals, and they seem to love me. I just want to see the right thing done for them.

No comments: