Monday, September 3, 2007

The move, completion

Well, that's it, we're in!
It has been a long, hard process. We only had a little over a month's notice that we would be changing apartments, so everything kinda had to be compacted into that time frame.
Yesterday we went over to the old place for a bit. We picked up a few things that had been left behind, and that were needed here. It was rather hard on my wife. After five years of living in the place, it was sad for her to leave it, even for a more spacious home. She had a little bit of a cry while I was taking stuff to the car.
Actually, the move has been very hard on her. She has bad nerves to begin with, so the stress of moving, and now adapting to the sounds of a new place is hard. She has asked me to relate to all of you that she is both physically and emotionally exhausted.
You see, we have moved from an upstairs one bedroom to a basement, two bedroom. The person living above us has a very large dog apparently, and it takes to running around at night and first thing in the morning. Neither of us is what you would call a morning person. The building super has told us that he is aware of the situation and that steps are being taken.
We still have a lot of things in boxes yet, tucked into closets, and the storage room is a mess. As time goes along, I hope to get all of it straightened out so that I can get into the storage room and actually hope to find things. All of the key things are positioned now though. We can get our morning coffee, and the cats can get at the litter easily enough.
I suppose completion wasn't really an accurate description for the title of this post, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We have cleaned the old place (neither of us wants to leave a place so that it has to be sanitized) and can hand in the keys tomorrow. Now it's on to getting this to feel like "home".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is true i am both physically and emotionally exhausted. When i moved into the old apartment i was in dire straits. I had lost my job due to a plant closure and could not find another. Then my back started to bother me from surgery i had when i was a child and the older i get the worse my back gets. I could not pay the bills and had to move but to where. Thats when i got an apartment with housing and i have been in it for 5 years. That was my home and i treated it as such. I also met my husband in that building and we got married while i was there so there is sentimental attachment to that apartment. I have never really been in a basement apartment with noise above me so that is taking some getting used to. I really don't mind the person walking around its that pet that she has. I have not seen her or the pet but we have been told the dog is big. This is no place for a big dog. She/he needs the country. The super know about it and is beginning the process of notifying her to calm the dog down so hopefully in time that will be rectified.