Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Home, sweet home

There is nothing quite like putting up some window treatments to make a place feel more like home. Last night, I got to my wife's window. The curtains were something of a pain, but they were up so long at the other place, that was to be expected.
I really HAD to put up the blinds in the front rooms. We are in the basement, and low windows seem to just draw attention. I discovered that early on when I lived in Ottawa for a time. Children especially seem taken with low windows. My wife and I like to sit in our pyjamas for the better part of the day, and it's a little embarrassing to have people casually looking in on our lifestyle.
On the other hand, things are coming together. The table has been cleared and a nice cloth put on it. Sandra went through the pantry and the cupboards last night. Now there is space for everything we need, and then a little bit. We can see the floors and don't spend all of our time tripping over odds and ends.
The superintendent was in today to put up the towel racks and things like that. They were in a bit of a rush, getting this place together for us. He also lowered the medicine cabinet for us. When he installed it, he put it up for someone of his height, and he is a VERY tall man. He has been very accommodating for us, making sure that we are happy with everything.
The best part is that I now can sleep in a bed, rather than on the couch. That was the whole point of the move. It takes me a lot less time to fall asleep, so I'm not up so late. I don't mind getting up a little earlier in the morning, which will be a good thing, come winter.
I guess he's put the woman upstairs on notice about the dog issue. The super wasn't happy with the noise to begin with, and he lives upstairs from him, so as not to get the full effect. If she doesn't get it to settle down, there will be a written warning given. After that, action will be taken. That's the way the rules of Landlord/Tenant relations work.
Yep, eventually, this place is going to start feeling like a real home.

No comments: