Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Weather woes

Have you been wondering about this crazy weather? Hot, humid days for about a week. After that, days of rain that comes and goes. It's hard to plan anything too far in advance.
Sure, there are good scientific explanations for the weather. It just doesn't seem to matter when you get caught out in a storm.
Sandra and I were on our way home from a doctor's appointment when today's storm started. Lucky for us, the worst of it hit while we were in McDonald's having some lunch. On the ride back home though, I managed to drive back into it. With the heat and humidity, I had the window down a little to get the fresh air.
A small car went by us, and I got hit with a shower of water. Just enough came in to startle me, and the windshield was so covered, I couldn't see a thing for a minute.
I guess the look on my face was pretty funny, because Sandra just roared with laughter. I could see the humour, but it sure did startle me.
We have a woman living in our building who is terrified of storms. She lived on a farm for many years and saw some pretty severe weather. If the sky starts to get black, she starts to hunker down. With the first flash of lightening, she runs out into the hall, where there are no windows. We always know where to find her.
Myself, I've always enjoyed a storm. I like to listen to the rain hitting a roof, counting the seconds between a flash of lightening and the trailing sound of thunder. I've been through a good number of storms in the countryside myself. I guess it's just my childhood catching up with me.
Sometimes this summer though, I've wished for some predictable weather. I'd like to be able to go for my walk in the evening and know that I'm not going to come back wet, cold or wilted in a natural sauna.
As I've said though, what is more Canadian than complaining about the weather? Check back in six months. I'll likely be complaining about the cold and wind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might enjoy the storms dear but if you were in a tornado like i was down in Pennsylvania you would be a bit squemish too. I hate when the wind comes up --- i don't mind the rain and i absolutely hate the lightening. We had no electricity for about 5 days in Penn. I could not get ahold of my parents to let them know i was alright the phones were out all over. And they wondered what had happened. It was also very hot after the storms and with no electricity of any kind and a small baby that my cousin had it was a bit too much.

I think i like the sight of a gentle snow these days. Thats when we used to get a decent winter. With lots of snow at Christmas and cold days. Now we get rain and damp weather. Climate change is here. At least for this 45 year old female. I can see it.