Monday, July 2, 2007

Ideal community

Yesterday, I discussed what being Canadian was all about. What I didn't think to mention was our sense of community. We are inclined to think of ourselves as a smallish, welcoming people, for the most part.
I live in a small town, so I know a thing or two about community, I think. Feel free to correct me, but you just don't get the same sense when you live in the city. Lord knows I didn't when I lived in Ottawa for a number of years. There may be groups, based on ethnicity, religion or area, but it's not easy to get into one of these. If you are not born into this niche, or sponsored to it, you are usually considered an outsider for a long time.
For me, the ideal community would be in a small village-type setting. Everyone would know each other, to a fair degree, and rely on each other in time of need.
That, I think is one of the defining characteristics of a community. Each individual goes about their own lives and concerns, but when one is in need, all lend what support they are capable of. Self reliance is a good thing, but the combination of abilities and points of view cannot be surpassed. Hilary Clinton said that it takes a village to raise a child. She was quite right, a child needs the combined knowledge of the community to learn how to make choices as an adult member of society.
Another side of this combination is ethnic diversity.
If I were to found a colony tomorrow, I would strive for as much cultural and ethnic diversity as possible. Without differing viewpoints, there can be no growth, and solutions to problems may be unavailable. In an isolated geography, genetic diversity is also to be desired.
What all of this points to is a village of between five hundred and two thousand people.
Beyond the people is the geography and physical layout of a community. This would also include the approach taken towards the environment. A community is only as healthy as the land and water that supports it.
I like the idea of combining the best of technology with some of the old traditions of land stewardship. We should really think about the consequences of what we do as thoroughly as possible. Think of a life of self-supporting farming and home crafts, with the technology of computers and communications. Working outside of the community would be good too, creating connections with other communities and organizations.
Isolation is not good for any community under normal conditions. It prevents growth and change.
I will freely admit that I am an idealist. Many will find fault with my idea of what makes the ideal community. That's the beauty of the universe. Who says there can only be one kind of community?

1 comment:

Filis said...

I agree mostly to what you've said. I have lived in Toronto and in small town New Brunswick. You can have Toronto, I'll take the small town every time. BUT, I think it's harder to make friends for a new person coming into the community. There seem to be so many 'clicks' in a small town. Everyone knows everyone else, or is related to each other. They seem to forget how to welcome new friends. Or maybe they just haven't learned how. The shared history creeps its way into every conversation and can make newcomers feel isolated. I think that's the part that small towns need to work on....

Just my 1.4 cents worth....

Cheers, Filis