Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Fourth of July

I just wanted to wish the Americans a happy Fourth of July.
I have had my beefs with some things about the United States in the past. I can't always support the foreign policy, for example. I also find the American approach to dealing with health care and the disabled both confusing and a little less compassionate than I would like.
On the other hand, we in Canada have our own set of problems. I'm sure you don't understand us either.
Americans on the most part are very passionate people. The nation was forged out of the fires of injustice and the battle for freedom of determination. I think this is what makes America as strong as it is. Once the clear majority feels something needs to be done, everyone jumps on board.
The only problem is that it's so hard to see if the majority wants something done. The government and lobby groups tend to lead in the decision making process, and the people either follow along and get on with life, or have to make a major protest to change things.
As one American put it, the system isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got.
Celebrate the birth of the United States. It may not be perfect, but it is the home that your ancestors fought for.

No comments: