Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Travelling in style

I really like to travel, but really only under ideal conditions.
For example, I like to drive to my destination, but only if the weather is just right. It it's too hot or too cold, it can be hard to get comfortable in the seat. Really hot weather will make you sleepy very quickly. Not conducive to safe driving. If it's too cold, then you are restricted by sweaters and coats. Again, not comfortable.
The other factor for driving is distance. These days, I'm not up to being in a car for more than two hours at a stretch. There may be plenty of places to pull off on the main highways these days, but it can be pretty inconvenient if you are on a schedule of any kind.
This all being true, I enjoy a good drive. One of my dreams has always been to travel across the country one summer. It would be fun to just stop every time you saw something of interest. If you like a town, you might stay for a day or two and get to know the locals. There are a lot of great places in Canada that you never hear about.
One way that I've enjoyed travelling is by train. It's a comfortable environment, the driving is left to the professionals and if you have to go to the bathroom mid-trip, you're covered. The other great thing about the train is that, for the most part, the tracks go through some pretty nice scenery, at least where I live. If you aren't concentrating on driving, you get to enjoy it.
I guess a lot of people are finding the advantages of train travel. I went drop to my niece at the station the other day. The place was packed. Passenger trains have gotten longer and more frequent in the Montreal-Toronto corridor. It beats the cost of flying and is better for the environment than driving.
Then you have water travel. I have longed to have a boat, just something I could take out for a few days on the St. Lawrence or Lake Ontario. There is something peaceful about sitting out on calm waters, listening to the hiss of it against the hull. Given the ability, sail would be my choice. There is much to be said for the quiet of wind power. I once heard that you can hear whale song through the hull out on the west coast. That would be something to experience.
It is getting to be a smaller world, bit it would still be a fun place to get lost for a while.

No comments: