Friday, July 27, 2007

Counselling by the untrained

I've been reading a new book that I found at the library the other day. It's titled "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. It's the unusual adventure of a young man by the title name. He is a grill cook at the local diner. Not unlike the young boy in "Sixth Sense", he sees dead people. Ghosts come to him to resolve whatever has caused them to not cross over.
In addition to spirits, Odd sees creatures that amass before large deathly events, like earthquakes and mass murders.
I have always had a certain sensitivity myself, but not to dead people. I work with the living.
People have always seemed to find me when they have issues to work out. They aren't necessarily looking for me to solve the problem. They just need someone to tell about what is wrong. Nine times out of ten, that leads them to the solution. I don't know what it is about how I deal with people that makes the process easier. It could be as simple as the fact that I can listen without judging, or at the very least, not letting my opinion get in the way of what they have to say.
It's something of a responsibility when people talk to you so openly. There is an understanding of confidentiality, not unlike the doctor/patient privilege. Sometimes, it's more like the priest who hears the confession of a horrible sin, and can do nothing about it directly without compromising his vows. It is a promise I take very seriously, though I will intervene if an innocent is in danger.
Why is it that people with problems will come to me, even relative strangers, when they won't seek out professional counsellors? There are a lot of trained people out there that can help. If they don't want to have a record, there are anonymous help line. Don't get me wrong, I like to help, to be a comfort. I just don't get what it is about me that makes me the go to guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had a similar experience. I have a friend who lost her father and it affected her deeply. She knew that i had lost my dad and she came to me. Sometimes its just that common bond that makes for a good listener.

There are times when someone you dont know is a good solution. We have the local distress center which is a good alternative. They dont know me i dont know them. It may hold that certain comfort factor.

I have had personal experience with councellors. Some are good some not so good. I had one councellor for 3 years and she left to persue her own practice. I really miss her. She knew my background and really seemed to understand me. My new councellor had a completely different approach to things which i was not comfortable with so i recently switched to one i feel more comfortable with. I guess its the comfort factor i was looking for.

Family and friends are great but sometimes you are told things you just dont want to hear. Or are not ready to hear. Or they just look at you and wonder why you feel the way you do. I dont want that i want understanding and compassion. Sometimes an outsider is just the best solution.