Friday, July 6, 2007

Cats, children and trying to get things done


We have two cats. The youngest is called Isabelle. We got her from the local animal shelter. (I highly recommend this, by the way.) In some strange way, she became MY cat. She sits on my lap all of the time.

While having a cuddle cat is nice, it is very much a problem when you are trying to do anything with your hands.

Cats are a lot like two and three year old children. They demand all of your attention, all of the time. Everything has to be done on their schedule. It doesn't matter what you are doing. Whereas children are mostly vocal about wanting your attention, cats take a more physical approach.

Isabelle hates for me to be reading, for example. She will get herself between me and the book, so that I cannot ignore her. When I am on the computer, she gets up beside me and pushes my hand, which is trying to manuever the mouse. I accidentally click just as she hits, and everything goes down. She will also get on the arm of the desk chair and push me over until I am leaning just to reach the keys.

Needless to say, our keyboard is perpetually covered in fur.

Just like little children, cats also know how to get our attention. They find those little buttons and push. With our older cat, Taffy, that means scratching (despite not having claws) on the nearest door. If that doesn't work, she nips at any exposed body part. Isabelle rattles the cupboard doors. It's the equivilent of a child screaming "Mommy" in your ear.

Her favorite technique involves head-butting me in the nose. She has a hard little skull. One of these days, I'm going to be in the hospital, explaining to the nurse how my cat beat me up. They'll need an anesthetic just to keep him/her from dying of laughter.

We don't have any children. That's fortunate for us. I think we'd die just trying to get to the bathroom in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes that is true but u forgot one important thing we are never allowed to go potty by ourselves and heaven forbid if the door is clicked shut. They just have to be in there with us i don't know why---- like we need a chaperone lol. I also have to say that when we take a bath one of these times we are going to have company. Isabelle walks around the perimiter of the tub one of these days we are going to have a kicking ane biting cat in with us won't that be funny after we get all the scratch and bit marks taken care of.

Taffy our oldest has the personality of my dad nice one minute and to say it nicely a little bitch the next. Just watch those teeth with her they bite and they bite hard.

But we love them they are our little girls.

Filis said...

I hear ya, folks! Our cat, Prozach, thinks he's a dog...and gets quite vocal when he wants a treat. Zelda is another 'huggy' cat who has to have your lap and attention. We have a cupboard with a lazy susan in it, but you have to be careful when you open it because Zelda will come zooming out and scare the bejeezus out of you.