Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Going to the mattresses

My wife and I went to price a new mattress recently. The set currently on the frame is about fifteen years old. It has more than it's share of lumps and sags. The situation is made more severe because my wife has severe back problems.
I have just been amazed at the variety of models that are out there now. You can choose from inner spring, pocket coil or spring less now. Prices increase correspondingly. Over those springs you can now have comfort foam, memory foam and quilted tops. If money were no issue, a buyer could conceivably spend months finding that perfect nights sleep. A never ending rendition of the Princess and the Pea.
We actually were able to find a few suitable mattresses. Sandra got up on the one, kicked off her shoes, and declared that she was there for the rest of the afternoon. This particular bed had just the right combination of support and softness that she needs. I think that, should we get that set, she would be able to get a decent nights sleep for the first time in ages. The cat would likely be happier too.
I'm sure you've heard about the importance of getting a good sleep, and how critical the bed is to that end. I don't think doctors stress it enough. So much of our health depends on our being able to regenerate at the end of the day. (Even for those of us who don't happen to be Borg, like on Star Trek.) Our minds need to be able to relax without thinking about aches and pains.
That might be a large part of our lengthening lifespan.
In the middle ages, people slept on pallets on the floor. I just can't see how a body could recover from the days exertions lying on such a hard, damp surface. Up until the mid nineteenth century, most people slept on feather mattresses supported by nets of ropes. Hence the phrase "sleep tight."
Beds sure have come a long way since then. Purchasing a bed has become almost as important an decision as buying a car or household appliance. You are in it for the long term, so it better be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mattressed what a topic. I do know i would not be able to sleep on a feather mattress (allergic to feathers). The rope or horsehair or whatever in the 1800's forget it too lumpy. I am sounding like Goldielocks here lol.

I had back surgery when i was a teenager and have Harrington rods on both sides of my spine. Scoliosis is the medical name a curvature of the spine. Now in my mid 40's i have developed arthritis in my back and hip. I need a comfortable mattress with support but comfort on the top. Right now i have a 20 year old mattress and i terribly need a new one. We did go looking recently and a found 3 that i just loved. Being on disability i cant afford it so there must be another solution. I just have to find it.