Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The world needs more trivia

Sometimes when I write my blog, I feel a little bit like Andy Rooney, from 60 Minutes. Think about it for a second. I sit at my keyboard waiting for inspiration to hit, but what usually comes out on the screen is drivel that nobody in their right mind could be bothered to read.
I think I've hit most of the same topics as he has too, from the rising cost of everyday items, to stupid products or television programs.
On the other hand, I like to think I've touched on some things of interest as well. I have discussed depression, disability and morality. Certainly I have written my fair share about the environment. Serious subjects may be few and far between, but that isn't really what blogging is about, is it? After all, I have described this space as a look into what's on my mind. We all have days when there just isn't much there.
The chief advantage the computer age has given us is the ability to record our daily lives in this fashion. We, as writers, can reveal as much or as little about ourselves as we wish to. In some cases, we talk about the issues that affect all of us, and in others, we get down to the nitty-gritty of just who we are. The important thing is that, as long as blogs exist, there will always be an outlet for our feelings and our creativity.
Do you ever wonder what it would have been like if the Internet had been around during key points of history? Imagine a soldier in the trenches of World War I, being able to put the hell he was experiencing into his own words, words that just anyone could read. People who made great discoveries in the early ages of civilization could have spread them farther and faster. In fact, the dark ages might never have happened at all.
As with any medium though, blogs can and do get used for less than noble purposes. It is the price we pay for advancement as a society. As the readers, at least we get to decide what is of value, and what can be ignored. In a repressive regime, even the press can be stopped. Ideas on the Internet are much harder to keep under wraps. Just ask the government of Burma.
Write on, fellow bloggers. Even if you do write trivia some days, at least it's trivia of your own interpretation.

No comments: