Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Q: Do men ever grow up. A: No, our cartoons just get more graphic.

The title of this post really says it all. As I've gotten older, I never truly gave up watching cartoons. It's an art form that will never really die out. Not unlike the soap opera, which made the move from radio to television. I can see the day when cartoons are a major part of Internet content.
The worst part of it is that the core of cartooning has been lost. Most of the stuff you see these days is made in the animae style of Japan. That means big busted girls in extremely short school girl uniforms. Well, there is more to animae than that, but that seems to be the biggest trend, from what I've seen.
What comes out of North America are cartoons that you just don't want your kids watching, if you have any hope of raising something other than psychopaths. At first glance, The Simpsons, Futurama and the like may seem harmless. Wait for three minutes into the show. There is always some sexual, racist or antisocial content. Don't even get me started on South Park! There is a reason why these shows aren't supposed to be on before eight in the evening.
I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to my cartoons. Give me a good episode of Bugs Bunny any day. Scooby Doo was another favourite. To this day, my father will snicker if you put in an old Scooby Doo tape and wait for a few seconds. Sometimes I think as we get older, our sense of humour atrophies, and the jokes have to become more and more crass just to get through.
Comic strips on the other hand, are another story. They are, for the most part, still the same, clean, family entertainment that we have always had. Which isn't to say that they cannot deal with adult issues. Being in the newspapers, they just have to do it in a mature, adult manner. I think the best examples of this is "For Better or For Worse" and "Baby Blues". Both have dealt with some pretty adult subjects in a way that does not offend the general reader.
I think that the older men get, the more infantile their idea of entertainment gets. As a man, I can say that without sounding like a sexist woman trying to bash males in general. What other guys will say is another matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True don't get me started on the Family Guy what a rip. Give me Bugs Bunny and Scooby Doo any day. All the so called cartoons these days that are put on at night arent for kids. One that i did find that i liked was Teen Titans--it was really cool and kids could watch it without all the crap.