Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My worth

I often wonder these days at my value as a husband, and as a member of my community.
My wife has been under a lot of stress lately. I do my best to reassure her that things will be okay, but it doesn't help. It's as if there is something I should be actively doing, but I'm not. There isn't any real way I can help her to feel better. I try to listen, but sometimes she doesn't want to talk.
That is part of the problem. She wants me to talk to her, but I just don't have anything helpful to say. When I don't say anything, it seems like I just don't care.
Where I feel like a drain on my community is that I don't do too much of anything. As a recipient of a disability pension, there are few places in the community that I can get proper employment. I just don't have the skills necessary. Retraining is possible, but would still leave me without much in the way of job options. In this area, most of the work available is either specialized, or requires an able-bodied person.
What that really leaves me with is trying to find someplace that can use a volunteer. I did do some volunteer work at one time. Perhaps I should go back to that. Maybe one of the local organizations could use some one to organize, or keep records or something.
As for my value as a husband, I just try to be there when she needs to talk, and stay out of the way when she just wants to be alone.

No comments: