Saturday, August 4, 2007

Reputations earned

A friend and I were out last night, and I mentioned to him that I was able to get our new apartment with pretty much no questions asked. For the most part, I can go anyplace in the immediate area and get treated very well, just on the basis of my reputation. My family's name carries a lot more weight than one might think, not being wealthy or anything like that.
My good name follows me from my days in high school. As a rule, if you meet someone that I went to school with, they tend to have a reasonably high degree of respect for me. I don't know of anyone who has an active dislike for me. There are a few people who weren't quite so nice to me back in high school who will give me a good word.
To be honest, I think I get a lot more respect than I deserve. I haven't done anything of real note for the community. I obey the law, and I do the little things that make life a little better for others, you know, common courtesy.
I think the real source of my reputation is the basics that my parents taught me. When you say something, mean it. If you owe something, pay it. Take a man at his word, until he breaks it. If he does, don't complain about it to everyone. When meeting somebody for the first time, give a firm handshake, look him or her in the eye and smile.
My parents were trained in the old school of human relations. I think it may be time for a refresher course for the next generation.
There are some things I actually think were much better about generations past. In the fifties, a man's handshake was enough of a contract. Every gentleman carried a handkerchief, usually a fine linen one, and a watch. He literally had the time of day for you. A good man could show his feelings, but was not about to let them get in the way of what had to be done. You earned your place back then.
Today, there is an attitude of entitlement. Everything is a right as far as kids are concerned. If you do something wrong, there are no real consequences. Parents have no control over their children anymore. Teachers now have to run circles to make sure they aren't breaking the "new rules" about discipline.
I guess maybe just following the old rules is enough to warrant my reputation.

No comments: