Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The path of extremism

Yesterday I linked you to the site of Scott Adams blog, (http://www.dilbertblog.typepad.com/) because of an interesting debate his readers were having. Today, I link to it again, because now a debate has focus. Someone has written a blog of their own, taking issue with Mr. Adams views on atheism and agnostics.
I'm not going to jump into that debate. I don't fear the fires of hell, I fear the flames of the Internet. On the other hand, it would be a good way to gain readership.
What I want to discuss is what the fierce defence of worldviews can lead to. Here are two grown men debating the nature of God back and forth. Furthermore, each makes judgements about the character of the other based on those points of view. In fact, the argument seems to have become just a coincidental thing.
It might help if these gentlemen spoke the same language. Half of this debate is over semantics. Like most arguments around the concepts of religion.
My point is, if it is so easy for two rational (At least I am assuming these are rational people.) to get into a back and forth flaming fest over discussing religion, how much of a stretch is it for the uneducated to get stuck in a spiral of violence for the same cause. If all of your knowledge is handed down by zealots, you can be talked into strapping on a bomb and walking into a Taco Bell without any trouble.
In the new age of digitally aware people, I can foresee the arguments of Mr. Adams and Mr. Cline inciting violence in certain corners of the world of fanatics. It doesn't take much. Perhaps instead of slamming each other, maybe they could try to work out exactly what each means by the words atheist and agnostic. They still might not agree about the big picture, but at least they will be arguing on the same terms. Apples and apples please people.
I am a fan of the Scott Adams blog, but I think he should leave the bull baiting to drunk idiots out for a drive in the country. As for Mr. Cline, I think he needs to understand that Mr. Adams has his own unique worldview, and accept that he is permitted to share it with his readers.
If we are as intelligent as we would like to believe, I think we can be trusted to make up our own minds what to believe.

No comments: