Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Computer time

I've been at the computer a fair bit these days. My typing has gotten pretty good, even if my fingers don't always do what I tell them to. I think I may be up past sixty words per minute now.
All of this time at the keyboard has given me lot of insight into the type of computer that would work best for my wife and I. Currently, we use a Toshiba laptop that I purchased four years ago, when my disability claim came through. It serves us well, but is definitely obsolete now. Nor does it meet the optimum conditions for my wife.
If I had the money, I would like to purchase a good desktop computer for her. It would have a 19" LCD monitor, at least one gig of ram and a four gig processor. She very much prefers the standard keyboard layout to the one on the laptop. As well, it would be nice if she could have a newer scanner, something that works quickly and easily.
Of course, that would mean a new desk. An Ikea student desk isn't really ideal for a serious computer user.
For myself, I would as soon have another laptop, but this time, I think it would be a tablet pc. I like the idea of being able to write in my own hand. Also, I am a compulsive doodler, and thousands of trees would be saved if I could do away with paper completely. The ability to just draw and erase is a great feature. Two computers would give us a little bit more of an opportunity to do some things together. She likes to game on Pogo.com (that should cover our memberships for a while), and would like me to be able to play with her now and then.
These are all "what if's" though. Dreaming can be fun, but it doesn't pay for the coffee.

No comments: