Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Bowl

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the popularity of the Super Bowl. I suppose it's just that I'm not a jock, or sports fan in general. I don't get all excited about March Madness or the NHL playoffs either. There just seems to be so much hoopla made over the event being played out tomorrow.

This isn't just an American phenomenon either. The grocery stores up here in Canada have been laying in the party supplies as well, trying to grab their share of the cash cow. At the end of it all, that cow must look like ground chuck. Chips, cola, beer, you name it, it's on sale. There has been a rush on large screen televisions, and from what I hear, subscriptions to satellite services are up, at least for the month.

Don't even get me started on pay-per-view.

There have been very few televised events that I just HAD to see. To be honest, our set is on mostly for the sake of the background noise. Stupidly, I guess, most of my time is spent on-line, doing nothing that matters.

Perhaps, that is the saddest thing about it all. We spend so much of our time doing things that are isolating us (Ironically using what is called "social media".) that when something, anything "big" comes along, we have to make as big a production out of it as possible.

Is it time I found that something big that works for me? I'll let you know. In the meantime, I guess you will still be able to follow my ramblings.

No comments: