Sunday, February 27, 2011

Form, function?

Today's discussion is about my sweater. Okay, yes, that is a little off the wall, but there is a point to it. You'll have to trust me on that one.

Years ago, when I went to University, I asked my mother to knit me a cardigan. I had a very definite feel in mind. Naturally, I wanted something warm. That is the whole point of the sweater. The difficult part was, I wanted something longer and larger than usual. If you've ever seen the length of a standard lab coat, you get the idea. I also wanted something rather "baggy" that had space.

You see, form follows function, as the old saying goes. The function of my black sweater was to be almost like a blanket with sleeves. I can wrap myself in it when I'm cold, or I can let it fall out behind me like a cape. It is not uncommon for one of the cats to curl up on the section that falls on the couch beside me when I don't have it wrapped.

There pockets even conform to my needs. There are two large outer pockets for me to shove my hand into. Inside of them are two smaller pockets. Those fulfill the needs of a regular pocket. I can stuff my cell phone or a pen in there. Two functions for the price of one.

Now to the point. (I bet you were wondering when I'd get there.)

All to often, we decide on somethings value from it's look. It's not until you wear your sweater that you really understand what you need, and how to achieve it. It may look odd on the rack, but when it's on you, it feels natural. Designers these days put so much emphasis on the "rack" look, that we have given up comfort and usefulness for style. If we applied a "form and function" to how we design our clothes, our homes and other articles, we'd all be more comfortable.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I actually love that sweater. I always have. Cause it is like a blanket with sleeves. Congrats: you had a snuggie before they were popular XD