Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Perfect Car

I've been putting a lot of thought into vehicles lately. Mostly, I'm just grateful to have access to one that works. Too many of us take reliable transportation for granted. Having been without it a few times in my life, I can't do that.

I think the most important ingredient to the ideal vehicle is to make sure it fits the driver. For example, I have been considering what would be ideal for my niece, whom I have been giving driving lessons. The vehicle should be sized right for the driver. No point putting a girl five foot nothing into a Hummer now, is there? Similarly, it makes no sense for a man over six feet tall to be behind the wheel of a Honda Fit.

Now, for my niece, I think a Civic or a Golf would be ideal. Four doors, for the convenience of carrying friends (of the quiet, responsible type) and stuffing junk. She has a bit of a lead foot, so I don't recommend anything larger than a four cylinder engine. The new ones have more than enough power for anyone.

Myself, I think I'd like to have rather a small truck, say a Ford Ranger or something similar. There is something to be said for a vehicle that only has two seats. No more passengers than you really want. It's either that, or a small, two door hatchback, like a Civic or a Hyundai Accent. I really don't need to carry a lot, and seldom have more than four people on any given trip.

There is still some debate over the whole manual vs. automatic transmission. I favor the automatic myself. My legs just aren't up to switching pedals fast enough for a manual. Besides, with the distractions out on the road, the last thing I want to worry about is rolling back into the car behind me. There isn't THAT much difference when it comes to drivability and fuel economy.

Granted, this is all academic. It will be ages before I have to even consider looking at a car for myself.

On the other hand, I take the same approach to designing things for others.

More on that another time.

No comments: